The Collegiate Church of St Maurice was originally a gothic
building, founded in c1260
by Bishop Bruno of Schauenburk. It has undergone many alterations since then, however.
The church was badly damaged by a fire in the early 19th century. It was in the organ
loft of this church that the collection of music dating from the reign of Prince-Bishop
Karl Liechtenstein-Castelcorn (1644-1695) was discoverd towards the end of the 19th
century, which has become known as one of the most important archives for the study
of music of the seventeenth century in central and east-central Europe.