The velké náměstí
('Large Square') forms the centre of the town
of Kroměříž. It is thought to have been founded by Bishop Bruno
of Schauenburk in about 1260. Most of the houses, with their
impressive facades, date from the Renaissance and Baroque periods.
The fountain in the centre was erected in 1655 (and modified in 1811),
and the column to the Virgin Mary (behind the fountain) was erected
in 1680 after the plague epidemic.